Ad

Saturday 14 September 2013

The Many Uses of Coconut Oil



Oils may be relatively new in the beauty industry over here, but in India women have been using good old fashioned coconut oil in their beauty routines for centuries. If you have really sensitive, reactive skin coconut oil is a really great alternative to products laden with chemicals. As well as that it's a great alternative if you're on a budget as a lot of cheaper brands are full of nasties like mineral oil. 


Hair

I thought I'd start with hair as that's what most people use it for. It's great as a treatment, massage a generous amount into the scalp and through the hair section by section and leave it in as long as you can, overnight if possible. Then wash it out in the morning, you may need to shampoo twice depending on your shampoo but I can guarantee it's definitely worth it. I try to do it as often as possible, almost every time I wash it as my hair is currently in a terrible state from dying, blowdrying and straightening! I really moisturises dry hair and strengthens weak, brittle hair that's prone to breaking. 


Face 

Want to try one of those expensive oil cleansers but can't bare to part with the cash? Coconut oil is your answer, it works amazingly well and costs hardly anything. Massage a 10p sized blob into your dry, fully made up face and the oil completely breaks down all makeup and grime, including waterproof mascara! Then run a flannel under hot water, wring it out and wipe it all off. It leaves your skin feeling amazingly soft and is so much better for your skin than anything that foams. A couple of drops massaged into skin last thing at night works well as an overnight facial oil treatment. You wake up to super plumped up, soft skin in the morning.


Body

In terms of body, it's a great multi use product. Put it onto any dry skin or dry patches but just remember that a little goes a long way, you don't want to be sliding all over the place! 


I put my coconut oil into a bottle with a pump and leave it by the sink, that way it stays liquid from the warmth and it makes it really convenient to use and saves lots of time. I even sometimes add in a few drops of essential oil like lavender to scent it. 


You can get regular coconut oil here, or if you fancy a special treat you can get organic coconut oil here!


Are there any other uses that you can think of?







SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Charlotte MacDonald-Gaunt14 September 2013 at 10:57

    And it has the most amazing scent :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe I forgot to mention that!! Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. For moisturizing my hair, I use the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 damage erasing balm, it works wonders! there's a review on my blog: mintprincessxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this blogI I recently went to SE Asia and discovered coconut oil while I was there. It really does leave your hair so so soft :)

    http://happygirlsshine.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I'll have to try that one out next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea, I love argan oil too, makes hair sooo soft

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!

    Coconut Oil is equally good for lips. the fatty acids in coconut oil that help the skin hold onto moisture also provide that same for our lips.



    ivysmaquillagecove.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I didn't think of that, I'll definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig